- This is an emergency.
- Contact your veterinarian or after-hours emergency care facility
- Constipation/straining can have different causes.
- This is different than straining to pass frequent small amounts of feces (usually diarrhea).
- Other symptoms can help identify the cause.
- Please repeat the Pet Health Checker to assess symptoms not already addressed.
- Some questions to prepare for:
- How long has it been since your dog last had a bowel movement?
- How long has straining occurred?
- What other symptoms have you noticed?
- Your dog may need diagnostic tests like:
- Blood work
- Stool sample examination
- Abdominal examination
- Treatments, such as fluids for dehydration, enemas
- Easy to digest food